- TIP: Wash Well! Make sure your child knows to use soap and warm water. They need to scrub all over – including the back of hands, between fingers, and around nails. Tell them to sing the Happy Birthday song twice before they are through.
FACT: In 2001 backpacks were the cause of 7,000 emergency room visits! In today’s school system, with heavy school books and overstuffed bags, many kids end up carrying over a quarter of their body weight on their backs (that’s equivalent to an 180 pound man carrying over 45 pounds on his back all day). Backpack weight can cause muscle spasms, nerve and circulation problems, and severe neck and shoulder pain.
- TIP: Urge your child to wear both shoulder straps and buy a backpack with multiple compartments. Lugging the backpack around by one strap can cause a disproportionate shift of weight, leading to neck and muscle spasms. Using both straps and a backpack with multiple compartments can help to more evenly distribute the weight. Make sure that bulky objects are packed away from the back, and try to place the heaviest items closest to the body.
FACT: Most children do not get the nutrition they need. Empty calories from added sugars and solid fats contribute to 40% of daily calories for children and adolescents aged 2–18 years. Approximately half of these empty calories come from: soda, fruit drinks, dairy desserts, grain desserts, pizza, and whole milk.
- TIP: Pack healthy balanced lunches for your children to bring to school. Include fruits and veggies, and substitute soda and juices for water. If your child eats from the cafeteria, check to make sure your school provides healthy options and educate your children on what choices to make.
FACT: According to the CDC, as much as 90% of all illness can be directly tied to stress. Stress breaks down the defenses of the immune system and opens the doorway to a host of injurious invaders.
- TIP: Relax, and have a little fun! Just like you, your child can experience harmful stress that weighs on their immune systems. Make sure they get plenty of sleep and help your kids to manage their time so homework gets completed but relaxation and fun don’t get buried beneath the schoolbooks.
- TIP: MAINTAIN GOOD HEALTH WITH CHIROPRACTIC! Chiropractic Spinal abnormalities called “vertebral subluxations” interfere with the functioning of the nervous system by placing pressure on the nerves. When your spine is misaligned, your immune system suffers. Getting regular chiropractic adjustments not only makes your body feel better, but makes your immune systems up to 200% stronger!